Oliver Gospel Mission has been rescuing and rebuilding lives since 1888. With our long history, the Mission is proud to say that it is the oldest rescue mission in the Southeast and sixth oldest in the United States. Since its beginning, Oliver Gospel Mission has been an integral part of social services in Columbia. Throughout the years, OGM has seen its programs evolve and develop, but the intent has always been to serve the broken and homeless. Our philosophy is drawn from the adage “Give a man a fish and you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish and you have fed him for a lifetime.” Oliver Gospel Mission seeks to provide a Christ-centered environment that is compassionate, yet firm, and designed to instill both hope and responsibility for the purpose of life transformation. Our goal is that those in need arriving at our door will receive the tools they need to live fulfilled, functioning, and fruitful lives, ready to contribute to and enhance the community.
The vision of Oliver Gospel Mission is to exalt Jesus Christ by facilitating life transformation among the broken and homeless that they might radically enhance the community.
Oliver Gospel Mission is a Christian-based 501(c)(3) charitable organization and does not receive federal, state, or United Way funding.
Statement of Faith
1. God, the Almighty Father, who made the heaven and earth, is One God in three Persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
2. Jesus Christ, who died for our sins, is the Son of God. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of a virgin. He was crucified under Pontius Pilate, was buried and rose again on the third day and now sits at the right hand of God from where He will come to judge the living and the dead.
3. The Holy Spirit is present in our lives as Christians and will guide and direct us in time of need, according to the will of the Father.
4. The Bible is the inspired Word of God, a revelation of Himself to humanity and is the instrument through which God speaks to us.
5. All people are born lost and separated from God, and can only be reunited with Him by the confession of sin and the acceptance of Jesus Christ as Savior.
6. Salvation is only by grace, a free gift of God, through faith in the Lord Jesus, who died for our sins. Those who receive Christ by faith have their sins forgiven and are made new creatures in Christ.
7. There will be a resurrection of the body and everlasting life.